Friday, June 29, 2012

Beirut Blues

When we first left Beirut 7 years ago to go down south I was sure I would hate it.  The opposite was true - I loved Tyre the moment I got there.  The people were friendly, the prices were cheaper, you could walk everywhere instead of driving, it was safe....etc etc
I was not sure how I would handle leaving yesterday.  We have been having goodbyes for weeks now - going out with people, having visitors and just living in an unsettled way.
Yesterday when I got in the car to leave I felt surprisingly numb - I am waiting for it to hit me.  After a long drive to Beirut, the kids and I arrived at the house  where we will be staying for the next 2 weeks and I felt so lonely.  Dave was away for the afternoon and only arrived back late.

It reminded me of the first time Dave and I arrived in Lebanon, also staying in Mansourieh.  After we moved our stuff into the house we looked at each other and just didn't know what to do.  Yesterday I felt exactly the same.
It was also Josh's birthday and I was trying to think of how to make it special for him. So we dragged ourselves out of the house, walked down the hill, and up the next until we got to........you guessed it MacDonalds.  Yep, I know - VERY HEALTHY.
The kids were feeling blue like me so desperate times called for desperate measures!
We had a great time and when we walked home again, the mood was much lighter.

It is going to be a challenge to make this place home for 2 weeks.  I will go grocery shopping this afternoon so we can eat some healthy food tonight.

How nice to have a blog where you can rant about whatever you want!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment